Friday, October 16, 2009

One Man Crusade Against Those With Self Interest...

Datuk Zaid Ibrahim Press Conference Context
A) PAKATAN RAKYAT

Effective today, I will be taking 6 months leave from Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR). This means that I will not be attending the political bureau meetings of the party. A letter to that effect has been submitted to the Secretary-General of the party.

I joined PKR because of my interest to try and put together a common policy platform for Pakatan Rakyat (PR). This common policy framework for the coalition of the 3 parties, PKR, DAP and PAS respectively, are now in the final stages and I expect to submit the policy framework to the leadership of the respective parties next week.

That being said, a lot more work has to be done in understanding the concerns of the members and the rakyat. A lot more work still needs to be done to provide a cohesive foundation for the coalition and this involves meeting various leaders and members of the respective parties. With the Pakatan Rakyat Convention due to take place in December 2009, I need time to finalise the policy framework which hopefully will be approved by the leadership of the respective parties.

Lately, there have been reports of the political frictions of the PKR leadership with regards to Sabah and Sarawak and that I was in some way involved. I wish to reiterate that I am not at all involved in the leadership issue of PKR Sabah and Sarawak. I have been invited to attend Hari Raya functions and gatherings by PKR leaders to meet the members, which I have accepted. Similarly, I have also been invited to meet some leaders of Sarawak in Kuching. I see no sinister motive in these invitations.

I have no interest in the internal politics of PKR, nor of any of the other parties in Pakatan Rakyat. Neither do I aspire to assume a leadership role in PKR. I made this very clear to Dato Seri Anwar Ibrahim when I joined the party. I only want to be a facilitator to bring about the realization of a strong, credible and united opposition — an opposition with a strong leadership, sound common policies and structures to be a meaningful alternative to Barsian Nasional (BN). Only a strong united opposition can restore democracy in this country and can provide good policies to the people.

We must move beyond the BN bashing and sloganeering stage. Only clearly defined policies and a united leadership of Pakatan Rakayat can convince Malaysians that we are a suitable choice for the rakyat. I hope that from my meetings, dialogues and discussions with the members of the 3 parties at all levels, the dream of a united opposition can be realized.

(B) Prime Minister’s Statement

I also refer to the statement by the Prime Minister on 13th October 2009 about my involvement in money politics when I was in UMNO.

When I was made a Minister, one of the first things I did was to ask the then- Anti-Corruption Agency (ACA), to investigate the findings of money politics against me by the UMNO Disciplinary Tribunal. I believe I was framed by UMNO and found the findings of the Tribunal flawed, where basic rules of evidence were ignored. I felt that a Minister should be free of such misconduct, especially when the Government had committed itself to rid of corruption in the country. I believe my request was acted upon by the ACA and they commenced investigations. I have not heard of the findings till today.

The Prime Minister should not take jibes at me when it suits him. He should be more interested in the truth. I therefore wish to appeal to him, to instruct the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) to complete its investigation and the findings disclosed to the public. I am prepared to face the charges if there is evidence of corrupt practice. But if I am innocent, then the Prime Minister should hold his peace and refrain from making such statements in the future.
Now what does this impromptu press conference tells us?
Nothing really except Datuk Zaid wants to clarify his stand. You would be stupid to believe me here.
There is no smoke without a fire. And the fire is burning from PKR's top leadership. Some heavy politicking is happening within the party by some power crazy politicians. Some fuckin aspiration even before the war is won. Prime Minister wannabes? Menteri Besar wannabes? Dream on, man! At the fuckin rate this is going, it would be a wonder if Pakatan Rakyat continue to exist come the 13th GE.
Where were the right action and decision when certain morons went amok over the issue of beer and religion? And the recent concluded Bagan Pinang by-election proves another point here.. Why was PAS allowed to field their candidate when they only have 100 PAS members all over Bagan Pinang? Complacency, No? Conveniently follow what was agreed upon during the 12th GE. Gentleman's agreement, they may claimed. Plain stupidity! There is much to learn from the 12th GE results.
That says a lot about PKR leadership and Pakatan Rakyat. They were all too busy fighting Umno while rotting within themselves. How can one gets stronger with a flimsy foundation?
Datuk Zaid has a clearer picture painted out for them. So what is your problem, DSAI? It is about time for you to show the people whether you have what it takes to lead. The people want action and results, not just mere charismatic lip services.
You have only 6 months to get things in order. Get that message!

No comments: